On June 29, the Director of the BRICS Competition Law and Policy Centre Aleksey Ivanov spoke on a panel "Anti-Monopoly Legislation and Economic Support Under the Current Conditions" at the St. Petersburg International Legal Forum, held from June 29 to July 1.
Under the current circumstances all branches of the federal government need to react swiftly in order to mitigate the pressure from the economic sanctions and increase internal economic stability. Anti-monopoly agencies play an active role in supporting the economy in various ways, including by means of anti-monopoly regulation. For instance, in 2022 the Russian Federation introduced a number of legal initiatives that permit parallel import. In particular, the Government of the Russian Federation was given the authority to establish a list of goods (groups of goods) in relation to which certain provisions of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation on protection of exclusive rights to the results of intellectual activity expressed in such goods and means of individualization, by which such goods are marked, cannot be applied, which gives prerequisites for development of parallel imports in Russia. In addition, a list of priority measures for the development of the Russian economy includes a proposal to introduce restrictions in terms of orientation to foreign currencies and foreign exchange indicators of the participants of the Russian commodity markets in determining the value of goods. Foreign jurisdictions, including the PRC and the EU, are also taking various measures to improve the effectiveness of antitrust enforcement under the current circumstances.
During the session participants considered issues related to the development of competition, improvement of antimonopoly legislation and methods of antimonopoly regulation in the Russian Federation and abroad in the current economic environment.
- Sergey Puzyrevsky, Secretary of State – Deputy Head, Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Russian Federation (FAS Russia)
- Aleksey Ivanov, Director, HSE - Skolkovo Institute for Law and Development, International BRICS Competition Law and Policy Centre, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- Sukesh Mishra, Legal Director, Competition Commission of India
- Aleksey Sushkevich, Director of the Department for Antitrust Regulation, Eurasian Economic Commission
- Vladimir Chistyukhin, First Deputy Governor, The Central Bank of the Russian Federation (Bank of Russia)
- Wilhelmina Shavshina, Associate Partner, Head of International Trade and Customs in CIS, B1 - Consult
- Tadzio Schilling, Chief Executive Officer, Association of European Businesses (АЕВ)